Category: Questions & Answers

May 21
Do you need a licence for a narrowboat?

Yes, you need a licence to live on a narrowboat in the UK. The Canal & River Trust (CRT) is the body responsible for licensing boats on the UK’s inland waterways. The type of licence you need will depend on how you use your boat. If you use your boat for your own private use, […]

May 02
Do you pay council tax living on a narrowboat?

With the cost of living crises and increasing interest rates, living on a narrowboat is increasingly becoming a popular alternative to traditional bricks and motor.  Whether or not you pay council tax living on a narrowboat depends on a number of factors, including: The type of mooring you are on. If you are on a […]

Apr 24
What’s the difference between a narrowboat and a widebeam?

The main difference between a narrowboat and a widebeam is their width. Narrowboats are typically 6ft 10″ wide, while widebeams are generally between 10ft and 12ft in width. This extra width gives widebeams more interior space, which can be a major advantage for liveaboards or people who want to spend extended periods of time on […]