Do you pay council tax living on a narrowboat?

With the cost of living crises and increasing interest rates, living on a narrowboat is increasingly becoming a popular alternative to traditional bricks and motor.  Whether or not you pay council tax living on a narrowboat depends on a number of factors, including:

  • The type of mooring you are on. If you are on a residential mooring, you are likely to be liable for council tax. However, if you are on a non-residential mooring, you may not be liable.
  • The length of time you have been living on the boat. If you have been living on the boat for less than 12 months, you may not be liable for council tax.
  • Your local council’s rules. Each local council has its own rules about whether or not people living on boats are liable for council tax. You should check with your local council to find out what their rules are.

In general, if you are living on a narrowboat and you are not sure whether or not you are liable for council tax, you should contact your local council. They will be able to advise you on your specific circumstances.

Here are some additional things to bare in mind:

  • If you are not liable for council tax, you may still be required to pay other local taxes, such as water rates or refuse and recycling collection charges.
  • You may also be eligible for certain benefits, such as housing benefit or council tax reduction.
  • If you are unsure about any of these things, you should defiantly contact your local council for more information.

You can find more information on council tax for narrowboat dwellers on the website.


  • No comments yet.
  • Add a comment