Category: Questions & Answers

Aug 23
Do you need a licence to drive a narrowboat?

No, you do not need a licence to drive a narrowboat on the canals in England and Wales. However, you do need to have a boat licence, which is issued by the Canal & River Trust. The boat licence is required for all boats, regardless of whether they have a motor or not. It costs […]

Jul 27
How much does a brand new narrowboat cost?

The cost of a new narrowboat can vary depending on the size, features, and build quality. However, you can expect to pay anywhere from £50,000 to £150,000 for a new narrowboat. Here is a breakdown of the average costs of new narrowboats: £50,000 – £70,000: Basic narrowboats with a small amount of space and basic […]

Jul 01
Where can you buy repossessed narrowboats?

As with a house or a car, a narrowboat can unfortunately also be repossessed.  They can be repossessed for a number of reasons, but more often than not it is bankruptcy of a business or person.  With most repossessions the financial organisation taking ownership have no interest in the narrowboat at all and simply want […]

Jun 11
How much does a narrowboat mooring cost?

The cost of a narrowboat mooring can vary depending on a number of factors, including the location, the size of the boat, and the type of mooring. Location: Moorings in popular areas, such as the Cotswolds or the Peak District are likely to be more expensive than moorings in less popular areas.  Inner city moorings […]

May 31
How much does narrowboat insurance cost?

The cost of narrowboat insurance varies depending on a number of factors, including: The value of your narrowboat – more expensive boats will cost more to insure. Your age and driving experience – older boaters with more experience are likely to get cheaper quotes. The length of your policy – short term insurance periods are […]

May 21
Do you need a licence for a narrowboat?

Yes, you need a licence to live on a narrowboat in the UK. The Canal & River Trust (CRT) is the body responsible for licensing boats on the UK’s inland waterways. The type of licence you need will depend on how you use your boat. If you use your boat for your own private use, […]

May 02
Do you pay council tax living on a narrowboat?

With the cost of living crises and increasing interest rates, living on a narrowboat is increasingly becoming a popular alternative to traditional bricks and motor.  Whether or not you pay council tax living on a narrowboat depends on a number of factors, including: The type of mooring you are on. If you are on a […]

Apr 24
What’s the difference between a narrowboat and a widebeam?

The main difference between a narrowboat and a widebeam is their width. Narrowboats are typically 6ft 10″ wide, while widebeams are generally between 10ft and 12ft in width. This extra width gives widebeams more interior space, which can be a major advantage for liveaboards or people who want to spend extended periods of time on […]